Monday, May 10, 2010

Holy Dublin Batman!

So today started off a little differently then the last. For starters I woke up at 5:30 in the morning which didn’t really make me to happy to begin with. Despite the early wake up, I felt like that I should get some things done. So I went out early to get some food and drinks that our room desperately needed cause we came here with nothing, and I was hungry.
After being up for about 3 and a half hour we finally set out to our first lecture of the trip. We meet up with a teacher from DCU and talk about print and TV broadcasting and I learned a lot. I know a decent amount of information about American broadcasting but it was really nice to hear about all of the facts involving Irish media. There are many domestic TV station over hear so most of the programming is taken from different countries because it’s easier and cheaper. You can really blame people for wanting to save a little money.
We then later went back to the apartments and we went out to get some much needed lunch. We went to this place that was called Clock, or at least I think that’s what it was called, that’s what the sign on the front said so im guessing that was it. Anyway, that had really homey food. I had a turkey sandwich which tasted like something my mom would make which made me really happy.
Later that day we went on a really sweet bus tour that brought us all around Dublin. The only thing that wasn’t really cool was the fact that we had on the top of the bus which was open, and it was about 30 degrees outside. It didn’t help with all of the wind blowing on us. So we went around the city and saw a lot of cool stuff such as; a lot of statues of dead people which is always cool, a lot of old buildings that important people lived in, the Guinness factory which is a dream come true, a lot of churches including St. Patrick’s which we went inside and I must say it was quite beautiful. There were a lot of other things such as the Dublin Zoo, and place that looked like the white house and a lot of bridges. Once again we were riding around on this bus with an open top when it was around 30 degrees
After all this fun we ate again at this really nice pub called O’Shea’s. all they had was great looking pub food and beer and I knew that’s what I needed to warm myself up with. I got an open faced bacon sandwich which was very simple but really good none the less. Of course what would dinner in a pub be like without a Guinness in one hand? The meal was great and ended up going back to the apartments and passing out for about 45 min which was much needed, once again I was up a 5:30 for some reason.
When I awake it was time for us to go RTE to be filmed in a live TV program called The Frontline. It’s a very political show but since I have no idea how the Irish government works I had a hard time following what was going on. Anyway, when we got to RTE, along with our equipment to shoot some footage for our web project, we got some great b-roll and interviews. It was time to go into the studio itself and get the show started. What I didn’t is that there was an hour documentary before the actually live show that I don’t remember being told about. It was a very long hour but it was finally time Frontline to start. The host came out and immediately starts talking about Irish politics and the government. I was still confused about the whole issue so I just sat in my seat looking like I knew what was going on. This went on for about an hour and a half. Let me tell you this debate got really heated by the end and I almost thought there was going to be a fist fight between two of the guest. Unfortunately there was and the show ended on a happy note.
Finally it was time to go back to the apartments to get some much needed sleep. Funny thing is im not tired at all anymore which is a little upsetting because I have to wake up at 7. Well either way it was a very good day everyone and I had a lot of fun and im pretty sure this is just the start of it.


Until next time….
You stay classy San Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment